Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Big ups to mermaid girl and lil Mister on their new addition, we are looking forward to meeting the little frog. Also to Seagreen for making the trip up to perform auntie duties.

I'm having a whole half week off drinking, I actually swore off drinking forever on Saturday morning. I didn't feel too bad until I got into work and had to talk to people. Didn't even feel that drunk. A very wise monkey at work told me that I should have eaten dinner and shouldn't have been drinking Tinkerbells vodka and lemonades on top of my G&T's, thanks LuLu. After all these years I would have thought some of the drinking wisdom would have sunk in by now. It's Miss Ivy's turn on Friday night as she is having a night out with the Wicked Stepsisters and ......(we can't think of the right moniker for her, stay tuned)

Drinking may have been spurred on by the crashing realisation, not make any more subtle by my mum, that I'm turning 30. At 25 Mick Jagger was touring the US for the 5th time for the relase of Beggars Banquet. Admittedly, things went downhill fairly quickly after that and I can't see spandex and legwarmers in my future. Or a Jamaican concept album.
Fuck, I'm turning 30. Fuck.
This is probably made worse by the fact that a lot of stuff has changed at work. I got a new job title and somehow lost my desk and don't really know what it is I am supposed to be doing. I think it's reports and taking on higher level arguing or something like that. I do, however, get to indulge my interest in the English language and the correct use of words in my daily letter writing to clients and proof reading everyone elses work.. Yay red pen!
My desk is now kind of a, well, kiddie desk. I also get a kiddie chair too. My boss was trying to arrange a meeting for this morning and said "we need to spread all this stuff out and go through it, my desk is snowed, we'll use yours, oh yeah. Heh. You don't have a desk!". I also don't have a lot of room, if Beaker (new receptionist type now Tinkerbell has my old job) wants to get up from her (adult) chair, she needs to tell me so I can move my (kiddie) chair so she has enough room to stand. It's kind of a back to back arrangement, which works well for her because I can't interrupt her myspace activities. It's an epidemic myspace, all the kids are doing it and mine is crap. Mermaidgirl, do you know anything about myspace layout? Ask the lad, kids of that age can do everything on the indernet now days. Not like us thirty year olds....


We tripped down to the good side of the western subs on saturday night for Miss Ivy's uncles 60th birthday. Cool party. The birthday boy is a bit of a Keith Richards, staple diet of Marlboro reds and scotch. They hired some guy in a red suit to sing in 4 languages, 3 of them Polish. Not sure what the other one was. Half of Krakow's senior cits were there. There was 3 really great old Polish women sitting on the couch, probably been though both world wars, just taking it all in. Looking like those shrunken apple head doll thingies, but still taking it in.
I really admire the character of those people, to have been through one of histories darkest times and still able to sit and smile at everyone that caught their eye. Community is such a huge thing in human lifestyle, whether it be myspace or the group of migrants that all arrived together as refugees sticking together for over 60 years.

1 comment:

BSharp said...

Hey 30's not so bad. You finally feel good, ney proud, about going home before midnight and having plans for sunday morning.